Looking for a fun family outdoors trip in Pigeon Forge? Try fishing at Big Rock Dude Ranch in Pigeon Forge, TN!
I have been to Pigeon Forge and also to Gatlinburg several times and while the go-carts and shopping is fun it’s nice to do something different. We did spend a couple of days going to the typical tourist type things like the go-karts, outlet malls, and the shops in Gatlinburg. My girlfriend who is into fishing (maybe a little more than me) wanted to try her hand at fishing while we were down there. I asked a friend who lives down there and she said there is river fishing and also fishing at the Dude Ranch.
After a quick search I found the ranch’s website and found out it’s fairly inexpensive to go fishing there. If you’re looking to go fishing at The Big Rock Dude Ranch here are some plusses and minuses I brought away from our outing:
- The pass is good for five (5) days
- They supply the fishing poles
- They supply the bait (worms)
- They supply the well stocked lake (catch and release)
- You do not need an (out of state for us) fishing license
- It’s only about 10 minutes off of the Parkway.
- There are restrooms there which was very clean. One men’s and one women’s restroom.
- There is also a general store and a restaurant.
- There are picnic tables and many places to eat while you’re there.
With that in mind here are some minuses I thought of:
- Their fishing poles are very well used, you might want to pack your own.
- Watch out for the trees, especially new fishers and kids who are learning to cast
- Your hook will probably get caught under a rock. Be prepared to jiggle the line a little to get it loose.
- Watch out for people behind you. It was fairly busy when we were there.
If you want to try something else the ranch also offers four wheeler and horse tours of the mountains. We did not do this due to time constraints but it would have been fun to take a four wheeler out into the trails. This was probably their busiest activity. If you would like more information you can visit the Big Rock Dude Ranch website here. It lists rates for their various outdoor activities.
Next time you’re in Pigeon Forge instead of racing go-karts try some fishing or horse back riding. The fishing is really a deal if you come back multiple times! Here’s a google map to the Big Rock Dude Ranch.
Have you been fishing in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, TN? Where is your favorite place? Leave a comment below and please also subscribe to my mailing list. Thanks!