First Time Family Camping Checklist
Going camping as a family for the first couple of times can be a very stressful situation. It does not have to be. I have made a check list below and also a PDF of the Family Camping Checklist for you to download and print for marking through items.
Keep in mind this is a general camping check list and each family is different. Everyone knows their kids bedtime habits and it’s nest to mimic thos for the first couple of times just to get the feel of family camping and how things are going to go. Here is a check list of items and if it’s able to be purchased online a link to either Walmart, Amazon, or Bass Pro Shops. Your choice. Although I will list maybe a couple more outdoor merchants at the bottom of this post to try out.
Be safe around the fire and keep the kids safe. For your reading enjoyment I have created a small fire pit safety guide. Camping is fun and the campfire is great but it’s a fire and can really hurt someone of everyone is not careful. Have fun at the campfire pit!!
- Toys for the kids
- RingStix Ring toss!
- Kick Ball
- Food (dinner)
- Hot dogs, hamburgers, buns
- Vegetables to make stew: potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, etc.
- Food (breakfast)
- We usually do something simple such as donuts and orange juice
- Packets of oats
- Breakfast bars
- Bottled water (lots of it, will possibly be cooking with it too)
- Frozen juice boxes (keeps food cold while it thaws)
- Extra garbage bags (we tend to make a lot of garbage, if you do also make sure you take it to the dumpster and don’t leave it around for the woodland friends to find).
- Camping tent – Buy at:
- BassPro: Coleman Sundome 4 Four-Person Tent
- Amazon: Mountain Trails Twin Peaks 3 to 4-Person Dome Tent
- Wal-Mart: Ozark Trail 4 Person Instant Dome Tent
- Amazon: Coleman Tent Kit
Includes a small broom & dust pan, extra tent stakes, and more.
- Sleeping bag – Buy at:
- Cooking Tripod – Buy at:
- Camp utensils – Buy at:
- Camping plate sets – Buy at:
- Folding camp chairs – Buy at:
- Hot dog/marshmallow roasters – Buy at:
- Emergency rain ponchos – Buy at:
- BassPro: Bass Pro Shops PVC Poncho
- Amazon: 4 pack! Emergency Rain Coat Rainwear w/ Hood & Sleeve
- Wal-Mart: Coghlans Emergency Survival Poncho
- Cooler – Buy at:
- Fishing license
- Fishing rod and reel – Buy at:
- Tackle box (I have forgotten mine, don’t laugh) – Buy at:
- Trekking (hiking) poles – Buy at:
- Multi-tool – Buy at:
- Lantern – Buy at:
- Go-Pro camcorder: to capture the moments – Buy at:
- Amazon only:
In case you missed it at the top, I made a printable PDF of the Family Camping Checklist. Feel free to print and share! Thanks!
I am sure I missed something your family takes. Feel free to list them in the comments.