Take that old laundry detergent bottle camping!

by Justin on June 4, 2012

Laundry detergent water dispenser

Laundry detergent water dispenser

There is so much talk now about reuse and recycling I thought I would share a great camping tip with you that I use when we’re out camping. We will occasionally buy the laundry detergent that comes in a big bottle with a spigot to dispense the detergent. This is a pretty nice and sturdy bottle, so why not get some more use out of it? I decided to wash it out and take it camping with us for holding water that is to wash our hands with or anything else that does not involve the water going directly into our mouths, like washing dishes. This is perfect for the kids and us adults too to wash our hands before meals. Less mess around camp because the water is on and off. No dumping water from a bottle onto hands to try to get them clean.

Does your family take a bottle like this for washing off hands? Please feel free to leave a comment I really enjoy reader input. Thanks!

Becky January 8, 2013 at 10:11 pm

What a great idea! We camp every summer at our lake property, but it doesn’t have running water. We’ve used the bucket, soap and towel method for a long time, but I really like this idea better! Thanks for the tip!

Justin January 9, 2013 at 8:37 pm

You’re welcome Becky. Thanks for coming to my site.

Realtor by day January 26, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Love this! It would also be a great idea for taking to the beach to wash off all that sand before you get back in the car.

Susie February 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

This is a great idea…can also be used in case the water is shut off in your neighborhood due to maintenance or if you live in an area where water may be shut down due to storms/natural disasters.

Justin February 8, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Good idea Susie! Any time you need water. Hope the folks in the North East have enough water right now!

Lindy M. Duhe March 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Recently my Husband’s doctor recommended that we switch to All for his clothes because he developed an ugly rash. He goes fishing a lot and return home smelling like fish, he decided to take the All container and fill it with water so that he could wash his hands while fishing. This was a great idea!!

Lorrie May 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

What a fantastic idea! This is also a great idea for gardening or any outdoor activity!

Zsuzsanna June 11, 2013 at 4:37 pm

We use this method for many years. The All laundry detergent container and the little aluminum table is the exact way we always set it up. We love it.
We also use the same but bigger containers the same way.

ostermann July 29, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I all the time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now
as I am a user of web therefore from now I am
using net for posts, thanks to web.

Anita August 8, 2013 at 8:43 am

I want to do this, but I can’t get all the detergent residue out of the bottle. I’ve washed it over and over, used vinegar and it still has the soap smell. Does anyone have tips on how to clean the bottle thoroughly?

debbie September 25, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thanks for putting this on the Pinterest, I too have done this and passed it along to all my camping friends. I also put it in the sun and it warms the water nicely, also I put liquid soap by this along with a small towel. It works well in those places were there are only outdoor washrooms.

Justin September 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thanks for sharing this on Pinterest Debbie! Those are some great ideas also you have for soap and a towel.

gracie lewis October 4, 2014 at 5:44 am

I have done this for years! Only I use a milk jug, put the lid on tight and poke a hole in the bottom side and plug with a whiddled stick to fill the hole tied to the jug. also a nylon stocking filled with 1 or 2 left over hand soap bars in another stocking tied to the jug. you could use panty hose. ( 2 legs)

Damian Bourke January 20, 2015 at 7:52 am

Hi
I actually work in the packaging industry
And, with this information I have to inform you that the products you are suggesting are not food grade packaging materials suitable for human consumption
The spigot / tap you are suggesting is used all around the world and we did in fact look at this tap as a solution in a potable water project we were working on
It is not suitable to use with the dispensing of water
The plastic bottles certainly would not be considered safe either

it is most certainly up to individuals how they choose to drink water and which receptacles to use but it should be pointed out that these items are not recommended for use with human consumption

Justin March 16, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Yeah it’s just for washing hands. Definitely not for human consumption.

Camp Nannie March 13, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Awesome idea!! It’s amazing how someone else can open your mind to endless possibilities. I have been camping for years and have used something similar ,BUT never thought about using those big laundry bottles for this. Of course I hate throwing those big bottles away. But I can’t keep them either. LOL. I will definitely be saving this idea . Thanks for sharing.

Cc August 23, 2016 at 11:26 am

This was the best idea ever!!!!! We went camping twice and everyone was so happy to have a place to wash up ! Great great idea!!!!!!!