Pick Up After Yourself When Enjoying the Outdoors

by Justin on June 19, 2009

Too many times I have been out at my Grandpa’s in the woods and I see wrappers or shells left by careless hunters or other people enjoying his land. I try to carry a bag with me just in case I see someone else’s garbage out there while I’m out. In Cub Scouts my son learned about the Leave No Trace program. Maybe that program would be good for some of the people who use my Grandpa’s woods and three ponds 🙂 (that link is not to my Grandpa but to a cool post I wanted to share, check it out) We always make sure that when we leave everything is the same as when we arrived and I think that is an important part of preserve and respecting the outdoors. I know if my son watches me pick up after myself he will in turn pick up his garbage (most of the time on his own). The main reason for this post is this: think about your actions when you’re enjoying the outdoors. Even if it’s playing ladder golf with the neighbors or the Great American Backyard Campout. No one likes to come along after you and pick up your mess. (Not even your Mom 🙂 )

I’ll cut it off here. Just remember whatever you are doing outdoors, pick up after yourself and enjoy the outdoors!

This post is part of the OBS Challenge. Are you up to the challenge?

Marian June 20, 2009 at 10:13 am

A good OBS challenge post Justin…I can’t stand trash
in the wood. When there is a work day…I volunteer to
pick up trash…while the other hunters do the other
tasks. At the front gate is where it’s worse. Most
people just drive by and throw trash out of their cars
or trucks. Also, when in your deer stand you need to
pick up after yourself when the hunt is over. If you
have a spent bullet…that’s a very good peice of
trash! 🙂 Good advice to heed Justin!

Eric June 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

Nice post.
You’d think that folks would take care of the outdoors while they’re out there.

Eric

Arthur June 22, 2009 at 8:17 am

Honestly, this post is right on. I even think you should leave the outdoors better then what you found it. Great post.

Northern Camping June 29, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I agree with you guys! I grew up near Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, ME and at the entrance to the park there were always signs that read “take only pictures, leave only footprints”.

I always thought that saying was so cool!

Hunting Joe June 30, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Why is it so hard for people to clean up after themselves? I hate seeing garbage in ditches, lakes and ponds. I like the post#4 saying “take only pictures, leave only footprints”.

Justin June 30, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I agree. Every park should have that sign.

Lorrine L. July 1, 2009 at 8:58 am

Thanks for this reminder to take care of the outdoors. I live in the city and I think my fellow neighbors could do better in urban/suburban areas as well. A few years ago, I started carrying around “poop bags” anytime I walked my dog. No matter where we are, I pick it up. It’s important to remember that it’s not just the impact of one mess on a hiking trail, but the combined impact of many hundreds of messes left there, that we are trying to prevent.

Frank July 1, 2009 at 5:52 pm

This is the first time I’ve ever responded to any blog. I started my own first blog yesterday and today. I agree with everything you have said about picking up after yourself,one of the titles to one of my post is PICK IT UP. It’s kind of wild that the same thing I was writing about yesterday is right here today. My new blog name is runnin wild outdoors if possible check it out and let me know what you think http://www.frank-rwo.blospot.com THANK YOU!!!

Jermaine July 4, 2009 at 6:29 pm

That only makes sense. I know my grandpa hates it when people leave garbage in the back of his woods. This have become a real trend. I hope people read this and understand!

James Mann July 13, 2009 at 9:41 am

I spend most of my time in the outdoors fishing and always carry a bag to haul out any trash we might create and of course to haul out garbage left behind by those that don’t.

This is a huge sore spot with me and has been for more than 30 years. There is absolutely no reason for it and the DNR rangers hiding in the bush to catch people doing the wrong things don’t seem to magically appear when someone litters.

I think they need to add this to the list of crimes in the outdoors and enforce it instead of waiting for something bigger to bust people over.

I have noticed that smokers are the worst as they may think not to leave a can in the bush but they don’t seem to mind throwing their butts in the water or just flicking them into the bush.

What are they thinking?

Elizabeth Barrette July 20, 2009 at 12:14 am

When I go hiking, I usually pick up stuff like candy wrappers and cigarette butts left along the trails. Most of the people I hang out with are used to that. Once I start, sometimes other people join in.

Justin July 20, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I hear you. It only takes one person to motivate others to pitch in!

LadderGolfFan July 29, 2009 at 8:19 am

Really everybody loves to enjoy and be free in the outdoors..That to playing Ladder golf we can easily paas the time ..Ladder golf is becoming a popular camping game ..Lets enjoy playing Ladder golf..In the mean time ,I also agree with you that everybody must remember “whatever you are doing outdoors, pick up after yourself and enjoy the outdoors!”..

hiker July 29, 2009 at 5:04 pm

When my kids and I go hiking or camping, we follow one simple rule – what you pack in, you also pack out. We try to leave the camping area in the same condition we found it in.

If we teach those values to todays youth, the world will be a better place tomorrow.

Tina August 6, 2009 at 6:07 am

We do the same, clean up everything, even pick up others peoples rubbish