The Great American Backyard Campout is Coming!

by Justin on May 29, 2009

Are you registered? This is a great family event. The 2009 backyard camp out is scheduled for Saturday June 27, 2009. Just set your tent up in your backyard. Get a fire pit and have a camp fire. Click here for more information about the Great American Backyard Campout. Leave a comment if your family is participating.

Kids camping in a tent

Kids camping in a tent

The Hunter's Wife May 29, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I haven’t heard of this before but what a great idea.

Justin May 29, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I remember it last year. I’m not sure how many years it has been happening.

Amanda June 1, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Hi Justin

I enjoy reading your blog. I work at NWF and saw this posting, wanted to let you know this year’s Great American Backyard Campout is the 5th annual. Thousands of people and their communities have already registered for the June 27 night.

Hope you’ll share some stories/photos when you camp out this year.

-Amanda Cooke
cookea@nwf.org

Justin June 1, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for sharing Amanda. I didn’t know this was the 5th year. We’re looking forward to it. Glad you enjoy the blog 🙂

Chris Esplin June 1, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Justin, thanks for the heads up. We’re living in Phoenix, AZ right now. It’s 100 degrees almost every day, so the backyard is about the only place I dare go camping. All you need to camp in the grass in Phoenix during the summer is a pillow and a light blanket.

Justin June 2, 2009 at 8:31 am

That’s crazy hot! It’s going to get up to 90 today in Northern KY. I already have my day planned inside. I’m a fan of fall/winter.

John at See Grins June 10, 2009 at 1:28 pm

This looks like some great information since I’ll be going on my first RV/Camping trip in a couple weeks.

Justin June 10, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Have fun on your first RV outing!

Erik D June 15, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Sure does look like a great event!

Justin June 15, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Yep several of my neighbors are participating also. Should be fun!

Georgia Camping June 18, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Hmm, we haven’t heard of this. It sounds like a great idea though. Maybe I’ll sign my family up and surprise them, as we’ve never camped in our backyard before.

Justin June 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Sounds like a fun surprise!

Amanda Cooke June 18, 2009 at 2:56 pm

What a fun comment chain–so exciting to see such interest. The annual Campout is 9 days away! Please register at http://www.backyardcampout.org, there is also info on this site like recipes, tips for wildlife watching at night, and campfire songs.
-Amanda Cooke, NWF, cookea@nwf.org (if you need any help getting ready!)

Justin June 18, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I know this one has taken off for sure! We have it on our calendar. I was also interviewed by the local paper. I’ll try to post a link when it comes out (I think this Saturday).

Mike at CampsiteSource June 20, 2009 at 7:35 am

This is a great event . I know a few campers where this was there first experience with camping and they enjoyed it so much they ventured out to other locations

Dan June 20, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I’m glad I came across your post. I amlost forgot. Thanks for the reminder. I’m going to get my grand kid in on this. COOL!

Justin June 21, 2009 at 9:12 am

No problem Dan! Check out the newspaper article I was interviewed for the Backyard Campout.

Nopalea July 6, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Living on a farm, it’s easy to forget how blessed I am to be sitting out under the stars each evening. Thanks for encouraging us all to take appreciate nature and healthy, happy living.

Justin July 7, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Yep growing up in the country and now living in the suburbs has made me realize how easy it used to be to just toss the tent out.

Nopalea Juice August 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I wish I was able to do this. I live in the city so having a bonfire in my backyard would draw a lot of unwanted attention. Considering visiting my grandfather out in the country and going for it. Thanks, Justin.