The Best in Tent Camping – Kentucky

by Justin on February 17, 2009

Tent Camping in KY
I initially found out about this book from an associate of mine. She had purchased the book “The Best in Tent Camping – Kentucky” and forgot to bring it to show me. I ended up getting the book as I am interested in finding new places to camp out with the family around Kentucky. The back side of the cover has a map of the state with each campground reviewed. The closest to us the the Fort Boonesborough State Park. The book has alot of background information on the park. The book also lists the important things such as when they’re open, what type of camping is available, the contact number, website (which is wrong for this one), restrictions (smoking, pets, alcohol, etc). The book also lists the camping fees which I’m assuming have changed since the book was published in 2006. This is a great book for finding camping in your state. The inside of the book also lists other books written by Johnny Molloy. He has written books on camping in many states, canoeing guides, overnight hiking guides, and more. I made his name a link to Amazon to see his other titles.

This is a great book and is pretty low cost for the information contained in it. The back of the book lists the price as $14.95 but Amazon has it right now for only $11.66. It’s a great read if for nothing else than to learn the history of the camp grounds.

Have you read any of his other outdoor guide books? Feel free to add your comments.

RV Club February 18, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I agree, I have the same book and I would recommend it as well. The price is great and the information is fun and valuable, i think. Thanks for the review on this.

Custom Blog Designs March 2, 2009 at 9:12 am

Thanks for being a top dropper for February.

Custom Blog Designs´s last blog post..VOTW has returned!!

Fred Sawyer March 3, 2009 at 12:38 am

The book also has some other areas that you can tent camp. What a value at 11 bucks.

Southern1 March 18, 2009 at 11:19 am

Tents are an important part of any outdoor event. campgrounds in Kentucky are located on beautiful Cave Run Lake in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Southern1´s last blog post..New Book of the Month : 100 Hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains

Family Tent March 18, 2009 at 11:39 am

I agree, this is something that all families looking for new adventures should invest in. As we are in difficult financial times, camping with your family makes a great and affordable vacation. And for the price, this book can help you with the planning.

berkey water filters March 26, 2009 at 11:56 am

I have a book or two on camping, but the best things I have learned is just going out and doing it! Although I don’t live in Kentucky, there are so many great places to go, not too far from where I live also. I agree that camping as a family is a great adventure!- Nate

campinggearstop April 3, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I never been camping in Kentucky but i like the book.

brian videgar December 10, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I have loved kentucky ever since i went to the WEBN fire works in newport. I used to stay in falmouth ( i think that is right). Lately we have been staying at morehead at cave run lake, either in a small cabin or tent camping. We like to go boating on the lake there.

Justin December 10, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Brian – That’s where I’m from! I used to live in the apartments down on Riverboat Row and now live maybe 20 minutes from there.

Angie April 26, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! We love camping in KY — though unless the weather is perfect I prefer my popup! lol! Red River Gorge is my favorite camping area. I recently started a camping blog, it has a long way to go, but I enjoy it so much I wanted to help others get our there and do the same!

Angie´s last blog post..Camping Recipe: Sausage & Potatoes aka Wayne’s Lake Potatoes

Brooke Campbell June 9, 2009 at 11:18 pm

I picked up the Best in Tent Camping Northern California version and have to say it was a great purchase. I really agree with the authors rating system. He seems to really value peace and quiet and nice big beautiful campsites.

Hunting Joe June 30, 2009 at 2:21 pm

My family of 6 honestly did try to family tent camp – once. I tent camped plenty in my front yard as a kid so I wanted to share with my children the excitment of the great outdoors. It was incrediably cold and my 6 month old had to sleep in a snow suit. I don’t remember the ground being so hard and the birds so loud at 4 AM. Needless to say we bought a camper 1 week later and have enjoyed camping ever since! I admire the tent campers even more now.

Justin June 30, 2009 at 2:32 pm

We participated in the Great American Backyard campout last weekend. Cold weather camping is definitely not for everyone. I agree the birds do seem to wake up earlier when you’re outside.