Camping With Kids

by Justin on November 6, 2008

Most kids love camping. They get to be outdoors and run around. We go camping alot and I thought I would share some tips for camping with kid(s).

• If just one kid is coming see if their friend wants to come. Two kids are better than one and they will have someone to play with.
  • They may have their own tent but chances are they will end up in your tent be sure to leave room for your midnight visitors.
  • In preparation of the above happening show the kids where their area in your tent is.
  • Have them bring their own flashlight, or what my son loves, his headlight to go hands free.
  • If your child has a favorite toy or stuffed animal let them bring it, for bedtime only. Explain to them that you do not want the toy outside and getting dirty.
  • Bring your child’s pillow. The ground is going to be hard and it will be comforting for them to have the pillow they are used to sleeping on at home.
  • Bring outdoor activities such as a Frisbee, football, baseball, or any other activity that the whole family can take part in.

Another “rule” we have is no electronics. Leave the Game Boys and PSPs at home. Camping is a time to enjoy the outdoors!

I’ll keep the post to these tips for now. I’m also going to be posting about camping and cooking with kids. Suggestions as to what to bring for food to make your camping trip stress free. Oh, and do not forget about the Easy S’Mores recipe!

This makes post #100 for Great Wild Outdoors!

Tom Sorenson November 6, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Awesome! Will remember those when I have little kiddies. Sure does sound about like the way I was raised – of course back then there were no hand held electronics, so thee leave electronics home part was easy. 🙂

Tom Sorenson´s last blog post..10 Year Old Girl’s First Buck

Justin November 6, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Kids sure change camping! For the good of course! You get to teach them about snipe hunting and keep them busy for a while!

Lancashire SEO guy November 7, 2008 at 10:05 am

You forgot an essential! Bring something that’ll keep them quiet and not wake up other campers at 5am – I know it breaks your rules but I use a movie on an iPod with headphone just in case of very early wake ups!

Lancashire SEO guy´s last blog post..Why older people don’t get Meta tags

Justin November 7, 2008 at 10:18 am

Yeah an iPod would work. My son is an avid reader so he usually brings a book to read. He’s also the type that can sleep anywhere so I end up waking him up usually.

Rex November 17, 2008 at 11:12 am

yes, I want your pic.
email it to me and I will be working on the Christmas Card. Thanks!

Rex´s last blog post..So It Begins…..

Rick Rosenshein November 21, 2008 at 11:19 am

Great blog, photos and articles. Very informative. Most of my fishing is done in Canada. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you tight lines and big fish. Rick

Sue December 4, 2008 at 10:22 am

My kids love camping! We go at least 3 to 4 times a year. And we don’t have to worry about the tent. Because we bought a pop-up camper a few years ago. I love it! 🙂

Sue´s last blog post..Busy Day

Eric December 14, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Great post. I’m a big fan of bringing board games as it encourages interaction with the entire family like you mentioned. I also plan on adding a telescope into the mix for next year so we can gaze at the stars on those clear nights..

Eric

Eric´s last blog post..Looking forward

Justin December 14, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Eric – We have a couple of favorite board games we’ll have to pack those up when we do our next campout. Probably Spring. Son is up for camping anytime but the wife is a warm weather camper!

Kindal February 26, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I think leaving electronic toys at home is a great idea! Another is to get a disposable camera and have your kid be in charge of taking nature pictures… they’ll feel special and have a great time!
Also giving a kid their own survival pack will have them feeling like a bonified camper Bear Gryll’s style!

Mike at CampsiteSource June 20, 2009 at 7:45 am

Yes, leave the electronics at home . If you do a little planning the kids will have fun. If you bring the electronics its too easy for them to fall back on. The electronics will be there when they get back home.

Justin June 21, 2009 at 9:08 am

For sure! The electronics will be there when you get back home.